| || |
Books from the art history collection.
Photo: Markku Haverinen
| The National Board of Antiquities Library concentrates on the following fields:
- Archaeology, especially Northern and Central Europe and Russia
- Architectural history and building preservation
- Art history, applied art and the history of material culture
- Conservation and restoration
- Ethnology, especially Finno-Ugric
- History, especially cultural history
- Local history
- Museum guides and exhibition catalogues
- Naval history and underwater archaeology
Some of the library material is in the reference libraries of The National Museum of Finland. Inquire about this material for reading room use at the main library.
Information Centre Vellamo
|The collection of old literature
The library has a collection of old literature consisting of about 4000 volumes printed before 1850: studies of history from the 17th and 18th centuries, local history, travel descriptions, books on economy, biographical literature and more. The books are available for reading room use, only.
The old literature collection is compiled in the catalogue "Libri rari et cari". Electronic version without the illustrations is published in 2010.
Librirarietcari (2.92 MB) (pdf)
Architectural collection of old books
The professional literature of architects in The Finnish State Building Administration (The Intendant’s Office, 1810-1865)
Jarkko Sinisalo: Arkkitehtuurikirjoja Euroopan laidalta.
Libri rari et cari
Ed. Kerttu Itkonen
Helsinki, The National Board of Antiquities, 1996.